History of Piedimonte’s
The Piedimonte family have been involved in the Australian grocery business since 1958. The family previously had an extensive background of seven family warehouses in the city of Milazzo Sicily.
Mr Piedimonte’s son, Sam Junior joined the business early on and started working for the grocery store. In August 1958, the Piedimonte’s opened an Italian food store. The business was built on oil, pasta and cheese. Altogether 45 varieties of pasta and 22 varieties of continental cheese and oil were displayed in their appropriate department alongside locally made Australian goods. The store doubled in size in 1962, and more departments were added. In 1969 once again the store was doubled in-size with new departments added.
Piedimonte joined the Saveway Group in 1969. Henceforth, further group changes were made from Rite-way, to Super-Rite, to SSW in 1985 (Self Service Wholesalers) to Festival in 1993 – to the current banner IGA (Independent Grocers of Australia).
The third generation of Piedimonte’s entered the family business, with the opening of a larger fresh food department, run by Guiseppe Piedimonte. The next major extensions were carried out and upgrades were made to improve the store. In 1985, Joseph and Anna Piedimonte began taking on the responsibility of managing the business. Since then, other members of the family took up key roles in running the business. The second store was refurbished in 1991, where Joseph and Guiseppe continued running the store. Although many of the locals moved away from the area, they still came back to shop with their children that are now married and have children of their own.